Complaints Procedure

Guidance on how to deal with your concerns – Please tell us about it.

At Notley High School & Braintree Sixth Form we firmly believe in a circle of communication, between parents/carers, students, and the school. Without this students’ needs are not best met. With over 1400 students in the school all kinds of queries arise on a daily basis. We have prepared this guidance document to help parents and carers know who to contact. 

If you have a concern or complaint

We would like you to tell us about it. We welcome suggestions for improving our work and want to know if you have any concerns. If you have a concern, please let us know as soon as possible. It is difficult for us to properly investigate an incident which happened some time ago. 

Staff at the school will make every effort to respond to your call/letter within 48 hours. More serious issues will be responded to within 24 hours. Due to the complex nature of some issues it is not always possible to resolve matters within this time frame, but staff will at the very least acknowledge your concern and indicate who is dealing with the matter. 

When telephoning, please be aware that most staff will be teaching and that on many occasions you will be asked to leave a message. Please ask for the issue to be dealt with by your child’s tutor.  It would be helpful if you could explain your concerns to the office so we can quickly deal with the problem. 

If you are not sure of the name of the person you want to speak to, the office staff can tell you who you need to contact. 

Click here to see a full contact list for the school.


It is not possible to come into school without a prior appointment and expect to see a member of staff. Please book an appointment.

Concern or Complaint?

If a concern is raised and not dealt with, it becomes a complaint. Concerns and routine queries should be raised with Tutors. Complaints of a serious nature should be made to the Head of House or Head of Faculty. If the complaint refers to the Headteacher, complaints can be made to the designated Governor. (In extreme circumstances senior staff will become involved if the matter has not been dealt with satisfactorily by other staff).

Please, raise your concerns before they become complaints.

In some circumstances it is necessary for the line manager to pass down an issue to another member of staff. This does not mean that the school is taking your concern any less seriously. Through delegation we are trying to ensure that your concern is dealt with as quickly as possible.

What can you do to help?

  • Keep us up to date with contact numbers as work, home, mobile, fax, and e-mail are all useful in helping us to contact you more efficiently.
  • When telephoning, please be aware that most staff will be teaching and that on many occasions you will be asked to leave a message.
  • Know who to contact.


Head of House or Head of Faculty
(serious concern or complaint)

Senior Leader


(formal complaint)

The Tutor

We place great emphasis on the role of the Tutor. It is the Tutor who has the most regular contact with your child, monitoring attendance, academic performance and the general welfare of your child.

If you have a query or a concern please contact the Tutor first.

If the Tutor is unable to resolve the situation they will seek assistance of the Head of House.

Head of House

If the Tutor is unable to deal with your concerns they will speak with the Head of House. If the Head of House is unable to resolve the situation with the Tutor they will seek assistance from senior staff.  Issues relating to the curriculum (lessons) should be dealt with by the class teacher and then Head of Faculty.

Senior Leader

In very extreme cases, if you still feel the issue has not been resolved having discussed your concerns with the Head of House you can contact the Senior Leadership Team.

The Headteacher

If you have a complaint which you feel should be looked at by the Headteacher in the first instance you can contact him straight away. It is usually best to discuss such problems face to face, and for this you will need an appointment. This can be done by telephoning and asking to speak to the Head of Communications, Administration and Governance Professional Services, to whom you may speak in confidence. It is always useful if the Headteacher is made aware of the nature of the complaint before he meets with parents as it enables him to make some initial investigations on your behalf.

Formal Complaints

We will do all that we can to resolve matters straight away but if you are not entirely satisfied with the Teachers’ response (or with the Headteacher’s actions if he has already been involved) you can make a formal complaint to the Governors. This should be made in writing to the Chair of Governors.

The Headteacher (or designated governor) will contact you to discuss the problem. Usually you will be invited to a meeting. You may wish to bring a friend or someone else with you. The Headteacher (or designated governor) will then carry out an investigation of the complaint. You will receive a written response to your complaint.

If you are unhappy with this response you may request that the matter be heard by an independent appeal panel. This panel will consist of three members, two governors who have had no previous knowledge of the issue and one of whom will not be associated with the school (i.e. not a member of the staff or the Governing Body of a school within the Academy Trust). 

If you wish to contact the person responsible for this page, please email