Teaching and Learning: Key Principles
- Students should be taught how to learn and how to reflect and improve on their learning.
- Learning objectives must be shared and reviewed.
- Clear structured lessons promote learning.
- Learning activities should be varied, purposeful and personalised to meet the needs of all students.
- Achievement must be recognised and rewarded.
- All students are capable of achievement. Identifying and challenging underachievement is the responsibility of all teachers and LSAs. High expectations are not enough on their own; action is needed to ensure they are met, including high quality home learning.
- Teachers must ensure a purposeful learning environment is maintained.
- Cover work must be set to ensure purposeful learning is maintained in the teacher’s absence.
- Each of these areas are explored in detail in the next section of this policy. (see download link below)