The following is taken from the Notley High School & Braintree Sixth Form Child Protection Policy:
‘The school takes seriously its responsibility to protect and safeguard the welfare of the children and young people in its care.
As part of the ethos of the school, the staff and governors are committed to:-
- Encouraging and supporting parents/carers and working in partnership with them;
- Listening to and valuing the students;
- Ensuring all staff, both teaching and support, are aware of signs and symptoms of abuse, know the correct procedure for referring concerns or allegations and receive appropriate training to enable them to carry out these requirements;
- Maintaining a safe school environment for all students;
- Exercising their duty to work in partnership with other agencies and to share information with them.
We recognise that staff, because of their contact with and knowledge of the children or young people in their care, are well placed to identify abuse and offer support to children in need.
The school recognises it is an agent of referral and not of investigation.’
Education of Looked After Children (LAC)
Every school has a designated teacher for looked after children. Foster carers, residential workers and social workers should make Mrs Wager, Assistant Headteacher, their first point of contact for advice.
The Education of Looked After Children team is also available for advice and support.
Contact the Department for Education
Telephone: 0370 000 2288 Fax: 01928 738248 Typetalk 18001 0370 000 2288
Phone lines are open 9.00-17.00, Monday to Friday
You can also write to:
Department for Education,
Castle View House,
Cheshire WA7 2GJ